pg_dumpall problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Le Gourou qui fait le support
Subject pg_dumpall problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I'm currently using PostgreSQL v7.0.3 and I have tried to upgrade to
v7.1.2.

The installation (./configure, gmake, gmake install) of v7.0.3 doesn't
provide any error message,
but I'm not able to use the pg_dumpall binary, even with -p option it
says it's not able to connect to postmaster (see message bellow).

Command line: pg_dumpall -p6947 > /home/postgres/data/postgres.out

Error message:

psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory       Is the postmaster running at 'localhost'
  and accepting connections on Unix socket '5432'?

psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory       Is the postmaster running at 'localhost'
  and accepting connections on Unix socket '5432'?

psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory       Is the postmaster running at 'localhost'
  and accepting connections on Unix socket '5432'?

psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory       Is the postmaster running at 'localhost'
  and accepting connections on Unix socket '5432'?

I have checked and the daemon is running accepting connections on
TCP/IP. I'm also able to use pg_dump (I use it to backup the database
every night).

It's a makor problem for me because I'm not able to "migrate" the DB to
the new version.

I provide you bellow the configure option I have used:

Configure line: ./configure --prefix=$PGDIR --with-pgport=6947
--without-CXX (where $PGDIR=/usr/local/pgsql)

Thanks for your help

--
Florian Gossin

Technology Development Dpt.