Re: Calling external programs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Fran Fabrizio
Subject Re: Calling external programs
Date
List pgsql-general
The suggestions of PgMail and pgsendmail were appreciated.  I see that the
former is TCL and the latter is C.  I thought that external filesystem
access was denied with these PL* languages, but I see in the case of PGMail
you explicitly install one that is unrestricted.  (I'm not sure how the
pgsendmail is getting around it).   Since everything else in my site is
written in Perl, I'd like to stick to that, and I have no problem writing
one myself.  I just thought I wasn't going to be able to because of the need
to access /usr/lib/sendmail and also probably to access an external email
template.  The email bodies I want to send are too lengthy to be sticking in
gracefully as a varchar field to a function call.  I'll probably want to
open a file template, and make some db calls to fill in some parameters.

If I can write my own in PLPERL I will cheerfully do so, but is there a way
to workaround the security restrictions in a Perl context?

Thanks,
Fran