PostgreSQL hangs when INSERT/UPDATE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lee Kwok Shing
Subject PostgreSQL hangs when INSERT/UPDATE
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,
  I am using PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on RH 6.2

  The DB works smoothly in the past 8 months but until recently, the
system would hang when doing insert or update statements.

  When I use
    ps aux
  I found a lot of processes like
    postgres localhost xxx xxx INSERT
    postgres localhost xxx xxx SELECT
    postgres localhost xxx xxx idle
  are running

  When I killed one process using
    kill -TERM pid
  all those processes gone and the DB returns to normal. But after some
insert/update, the problem exists again...

  I tried to use strace on the process and found that they seems waiting

for something since the following statements are execution repeatedly
    select (0, NULL, NULL, .....
  Maybe they had been fall in some infinite loop..

  The debug trace shows that the query has pass the query parse and plan
phase. The debug log is stopped after the
  ProcessQuery
  is printed (But not the CommitTransactionCommand)

  Therefore I kill the process and execute the same query again, the
query is executed sucessfully !!!

  Thanks in advance.

  Regards,
--