Feature request : Remove identifier length constraints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Swan
Subject Feature request : Remove identifier length constraints
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I just got bit by the identifier name is too long and will be truncated
limitation in Postgresql.

AFIAA there is a limit of 64 characters for identifiers (names of
tables, sequences, indexes, etc...)

I had just started to get in the habit of using serial data types until
I made to tables with long names and the automatic sequence names that
were generated conflicted, *ouch* ...

Is there the possibility of a name conflict resolution during the table
creation phase similar to "the name I want to assign is already taken,
so I'll pick a different name..." on the serial data type?