Re: Replace MSSQL by PostgreSQL ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Per-Olof Pettersson
Subject Re: Replace MSSQL by PostgreSQL ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Pieter Grimmerink wrote:

> I have a windows application using a MSSQL (the free 2gig version) database.
> When the application is first started, I have to select 'sql server' and
> then I need to
> give the sql setup (servername, user+pass) in an ODBC datasource setup
> dialog.
>
> Now I am wondering, would there be a chance I could use PostgreSQL on my
> linux
> server, with an ODBC windows driver, and let this application create and use
> a postgresql database instead, without having to make changes to the
> application
> itself?
>
> Or do I have a way to positive idea about ODBC interfaces...
>
> Right now I tried to get this working, I installed postgresql 7.1, and the
> postgresql ODBC
> driver for windows, but I can't even import database tables from postgresql
> in MSAccess.
> But this could very well be because the highest version I can select in the
> driver is the 6.4/6.5
> protocol.
>
> The only way to convince people to move from MSSQL to PostgreSQL would be
> when they don't notice the difference ;-)
>
> Should I go on with this, or don't I have a chance?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pieter

Hi

First, try to get the latest driver. It shows support for 7.x. You can
find it at http://odbc.postgresql.org/

Next, you need to configure the datasource. By default it is read-only.
And there are some other issues for how it is supposed to interpret
TEXT-types and the like.
http://www.sevainc.com/Access/PostgreSQL_ODBC_Configuration.html

These links are taken from
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/oresources.php