Re: GiST index on data types that require compression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Blasby
Subject Re: GiST index on data types that require compression
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I took your (Tom, Oleg, and Teodor's) advice and changed my GiST code so
it compresses a normal GEOMETRY into a BOX3D-only-GEOMETRY by striping
out the actual geometric information.  This way, everything is
consistent.

I now appear to be able to create and use a GiST index (well, it works
on my 1 test case ;^) ).

Unfortunately, when I issue the CREATE INDEX command, it takes a really
long time.  The system goes to about 80% iowait (according to top), or
mostly idle.  There's lots of memory free.   Any ideas why?

dave