Followup to IRIX6.5 installation of PG 7.1.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From G. Anthony Reina
Subject Followup to IRIX6.5 installation of PG 7.1.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I've been talking with SGI tech support about my problem with installing
Postgres 7.1.1 on the SGI (IRIX 6.5.12 using the MIPSPro 7.3 compiler).
Fortunately, one of my SGI's (an octane) built PG without any problem so
this is just academic now (but probably useful for others wanting to
install PG on the SGI). The other SGI (an o2)  seems to lose definitions
of strdup and timeval and some other structures. On the specific
question of strdup, the SGI person told me this:

> Hi Tony,
>
> From my research I came across this:
>
> strdup is not part of ISO C, either C 89, C90, C95, or the
> latest, C99.
>
> As a a result,  there is no strdup() prototype visible, so
> the compiler assumes strdup returns an int.
> An int cannot be transformed to a char * without a cast,
> so the compiler gives a diagnostic.
>

> I noticed in your code string.h is not included. The man page for strdup
> specifies the
> inclusion of this header.  Please advise.

Any comments?

-Tony