Re: Re: case sensitivity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gilles DAROLD
Subject Re: Re: case sensitivity
Date
List pgsql-general
Simon Crute wrote:

> If anyone's interested,
> I found the answer to my first question buried in the DBI docs
> (fetch_hashref("NAME_uc") if anyone's interested)
>
> With regards to case
> > AFAIK we're exactly as picky about it as Oracle, just in the opposite
> > direction.
>
> I think there's some differences in function names. In oracle I think you
> can get away with count(), or COUNT(), in postgres it has to be COUNT(), but
> this was probably going through the perl DBI, so that may have been
> complicating things.

Oracle doesn't care about case sensitive in queries, Postgres too if you don't
quote tablename or columnname at creation time. If you use quote and upercase
at creation time you may quote it as well in you're queries. Function can be
lower
or upper case it doesn't matter at least in PostgreSQL 7.0.3.

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM "T_USERPREF";
select count(*) from "T_USERPREF";

Works well.

But you want columname returned as uppercase and you find the way...