Problem with referential integrity and inherited tables in 7.1.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Loidl
Subject Problem with referential integrity and inherited tables in 7.1.1
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

the following (simplified) example works with 7.0.3,
but fails with 7.1.1:

CREATE TABLE ViewElement (
    id                  serial
);

CREATE TABLE ViewNode (
    nodeType     char
) INHERITS (ViewElement);

CREATE TABLE ViewLink (
    linkType  char
) INHERITS (ViewElement);

CREATE TABLE ConnectedViewNodes (
    linkId  int4 NOT NULL CONSTRAINT A REFERENCES ViewLink (id),
    nodeId  int4 NOT NULL CONSTRAINT B REFERENCES ViewNode (id)
);

After the last create statement I get the following error:
ERROR:  UNIQUE constraint matching given keys for referenced table
"viewlink" not found

If I reference the ViewElement table instead of the inherited tables,
I can create the ConnectedViewNodes table, but I can't insert into
ConnectedViewNodes:

CREATE TABLE ConnectedViewNodes (
    linkId  int4 NOT NULL CONSTRAINT A REFERENCES ViewElement (id),
    nodeId  int4 NOT NULL CONSTRAINT B REFERENCES ViewElement (id)
);

INSERT INTO ViewNode (nodeType) VALUES ('a');
INSERT INTO ViewLink (linkType) VALUES ('b');

INSERT INTO ConnectedViewNodes VALUES (2, 1);

Here I get the following error after the last insert:
ERROR:  b referential integrity violation - key referenced from
connectedviewnodes not found in viewelement

Is this a bug in 7.1.1 or is there an other way to do this?
(Both ways work with 7.0.3)

Thanks,

Stefan

--
Stefan Loidl                    Phone:  +49 89 289-28882
Leibniz Supercomputing Center   Fax:    +49 89 2809460