Creating a data source - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Larry Mulcahy
Subject Creating a data source
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
I'm trying to create a data source as described in paragraph
5.5.1 of the JDBC 2.0 Standard Extension API
(http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/jdbc20.stdext.pdf).
(Another example: paragraph 3.7.2 "Deploying a Basic Datasource
Object" in http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/Books/JDBCTutorial/).

My application produces the output,

java -classpath
.:/usr/local/pgsql/share/java/postgresql.jar:/usr/local/java/jdbc2_0-stdext.jar
Example
Creating a new Context...
Binding...
Bind failed.
Exception: javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class
name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in
an application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial

I found various documentation about different ways to specify a value
for java.naming.factory.initial.  You can put it in
$JAVA_HOME/lib/jndi.properties, you can specify it on the command line
with -Djava.naming.factory.initial=..., you can create an environment
Hashtable and pass it as one of the arguments to InitialContext as
documented at http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/tutorial/beyond/env/.
What I can't find is what value to actually give it for the
InitialContextFactory.  Am I supposed to write this myself?

This seems like a routine common action that people must do all the
time, but I can't seem to find good documentation about how to do it.

Is there some administration that needs to be done behind the scenes,
e.g. starting a JNDI server?

Code follows:

import javax.naming.InitialContext;
import javax.naming.Context;
import java.util.Hashtable;

public class Example {
    public static void main(String args[])
    {
    org.postgresql.PostgresqlDataSource ds =
        new org.postgresql.PostgresqlDataSource();
    ds.setServerName("host");
    ds.setDatabaseName("database");

    Context ctx = null;

    System.out.println("Creating a new Context...");
    try {
        ctx = new InitialContext();
    }
    catch (Exception e) {
        System.out.println("Failed to create a new Context.");
        System.out.println("Exception: " + e);
        return;
    }

    System.out.println("Binding...");