naming convention/mixed case - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alejandro Fernandez
Subject naming convention/mixed case
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi

I'm working on a project (http://mandible.sourceforge.net/)that uses
postgres for a membership directory. The database being used as a
starting example is currently an Access database, and the first naming
standard I'm using is the Leszynski/Reddick one at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/backgrnd/html/msdn_20naming.htm
- especially since these are the conventions that are currently used in
the access database.

The problem is that postgres's handling of mixed case table names etc
makes things quite complicated, as they have to be enclosed in double
quotes: this makes tab completion useless in psql, and possibly
complicates functions/triggers/etc, as they will need mixtures of double
and single quotes. For example, creating sequences called "seqMemberId"
made them hard to modify with nextval and setval, as the function uses
single quotes already.

For me, it's fine to just live with this, as I've started using that
convention, but just for future reference, is there a naming standard
that is better indicated for postgresql(and other unix friendly
databases perhaps?), or is there a plan to get postgres naming to
support mixed case more?

Thanks,

Ale
--
Alejandro Fernandez Bscp 5 Caledonian University
0141 586 3913 - ale@nin.cx