Re: File system performance and pg_xlog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark L. Woodward
Subject Re: File system performance and pg_xlog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > If one looks at the FAT file system with an open mind and a clear understanding
> > of how it will be used, some small modifications may make it the functional
> > equivalent of a managed table space volume, at least under Linux.
>
> Can I ask if we are talking FAT16 (DOS) or FAT32 (NT)

I used FAT32 in my tests.

On a side note, FAT32 is actually DOS. It showed up in Windows 95b and wasn't
supported in NT until Win2K.

I guess, what I have been trying to say, is that we all know it all comes down to
disk I/O at some point. Reducing the number of sequencial disk I/O operations for
each transaction will improve performence. Maybe choosing a simple file system will
accomplish this.