Re: New Linux xfs/reiser file systems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Swan
Subject Re: New Linux xfs/reiser file systems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
mlw wrote:<br /><blockquote cite="mid:3AF2200D.922E5723@mohawksoft.com" type="cite"><pre wrap="">Bruce Momjian
thatthe place where the database<br />is initialised to should be on a non-Reiser, non-XFS mount...<br
/></pre></blockquote><prewrap="">Sure, we can do that now.  What do we do when these are the default file<br />systems
forLinux?  We can tell them to create other types of file<br />systems, but that is a pretty big hurdle.  I wonder if
havelooked at Reiser, and I don't think it is a file system suited for very<br />large files, or applications such as
postgres.The Linux crowd should lobby<br />against any such trend. It is ok for many moderately small files.
project,I'd bet that there are file properties<br />or management tools to tell it to leave directories and files
Ithink it's worth noting that Oracle has been petitioning the kernel developers for better raw device support: in other
words,the ability to write directly to the hard disk and bypassing the filesystem all together.   <br /><br /> If the
dbis going to assume the responsibility of disk write verification it seems reasonable to assume you might want to
investigatethe raw disk i/o options.<br /><br /> Telling your installers that a major performance gain is attainable by
doingso might be a start in the opposite direction.   I've monitored a lot of discussions and from what I can gather,
postgresqldoes it's own set of journaling operations.  I don't think that it's necessary for writes to be double