Problem importing auto-increment fields in MS Access to PostgreSQL. - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Rich Handler
Subject Problem importing auto-increment fields in MS Access to PostgreSQL.
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Hi there

I have a relatively simple problem :

I have a field named "id" that has type "Auto-number" in an Access
database  table.

When I export the database via ODBC to a PostgreSQL table, the
"auto- number" property of this field is lost (!) :
<snippet of commlog>
CREATE TABLE "names"("id" int4,"name" varchar(50),"tel_no"
varchar(50))
</snippet>

I also access the PostgreSQL database via a web-based GUI
(phpPgAdmin  from GreatBridge), and when I add new rows to it,
the id field does not auto- increment.

This is my system :

odbc driver version (on Win machine) : 7.01.00.04 Insight Distrib.
(PSQLODBC.DLL)

odbc driver version (on Red Hat machine) : postgresql-odbc-7.0.2-
17.rpm

postgre database version : postgresql-7.0.2.rpm

error messages on screen : none.

the commlog file : see attached file (psqlodbc.log)

Suggestions, workarounds and prayers would be appreciated !

love
rich handler

If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,