Re: A proposal to change psqlodbc - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Hiroshi Inoue
Subject Re: A proposal to change psqlodbc
Date
Re: A proposal to change psqlodbc  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-odbc
Tom Lane wrote:

> Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> writes:
> > If there's no objection, I would change the current
> > source in a week or so.
>
> This seems like something to do during 7.2 development, not as part
> of post-7.1 bug fixing.

I can wait to commit it if the 7.2 branch is near
but have a basic question.

What does 7.2 development mean for clients(psqlodbc) ?
Certainly 7.2 would require some changes on clients
and I would request some features for psqlodbc.
But most changes in client libraries are/have been
independent from servers' changes. Strong binding to
servers' implementation is one of the most abominable
thing for clients. Psqlodbc driver has kept backward
compatibility and we have always been able to replace
the old driver by the latest one. As long as psqlodbc
doesn't intend a big change(e.g. ODBC level 3 support)
of its own, it doesn't seems to need the branch. Though
initdb is a critical restriction for servers, clients
are(should be) free from the restriction...

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

P.S. The change would be a bug fix in a sense though
I'm not sure. Both the driver manager and each ODBC
driver have ODBC functions of the same name. ODBC
function calls inside a driver may call the functions
of the driver manager.