7.2 feature request - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chad La Joie
Subject 7.2 feature request
Date
List pgsql-hackers
What I'd like to see in 7.2 is a WAL API with the following
functionality:  * Get the latest transaction in the WAL  * Get transaction, transId, from the WAL  * Was a given
transactionrolled back?

What I don't want to have to worry about is all the internals needed for
writting the log.  I shouldn't need to know if a new seagment was
created, when and where checkpoints are made, etc.

Perhaps there could be a small library for just reading stuff the WAL
file?

The second suggestion I have is one I alreay alluded to and would offer
to help work on.  Namely replication for Postgres.  Given the simple API
listed above I already have a roughed out design for replication deamon.

Just some suggestions.