General question (C++ interfacing to PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Carlos Moreno
Subject General question (C++ interfacing to PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
I'm just curious about what the standard practice for creating
PgConnection/PgDatabase objects should be.

First, I'm not quite sure when or how should I use PgDatabase
(in the simple tests that I've done so far, I use only PgConnection).

As for the PgConnection, I'm wondering if I should create them
as local variables whenever I need to execute a selcect or
insert/update/delete statement, or if it is a better idea to
keep a unique (possibly global) PgConnection object and keep
asking it to Exec SQL statements.

Is there any considerable overhead when creating PgConnection
instances?  Are multiple instances asking for trouble?

There's probably a tutorial where these guidelines are?  I
haven't been able to find it, but if someone points me to
such tutorial, I'd be very grateful!

Oh, another thing...  How can I prevent output from being
sent to stdout whenever I execute a SELECT statement?  I'd
like to get the data, and not send it to stdout -- however,
when I do  connect.Exec ("select ..... "), I get the results
of the SQL statement displayed without the program cout'ing
them explicitly...

Thanks!

Carlos