Re: Re: No printable 7.1 docs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: Re: No printable 7.1 docs?
Date
Re: Re: No printable 7.1 docs?  (Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp>)
List pgsql-hackers
> 5) We have been working for translating docs into Japanese using
>    EUC_JP encoding. Converting to HTML is no problem, but we cannot
>    get correct results for sgml-> RTF conversion at all. The
>    translated docs are just not be able to read, showing random
>    characters. It seems that openjade supports multibyte encodings at
>    least according to their manuals, but I can not get it working. I
>    have asked to dssslist but I have not gotten usefull helps yet.

Sorry you are seeing trouble. I missed seeing your traffic on the dsssl
list to which I am subscribed; which one are you using?

>    A qustion comes to my mind: Is really sgml is an appropriate doc
>    format for us? For me, LaTeX seems more handy. It can generate HTML
>    using latex2html, and of course can produce beautiful hard copies
>    AUTOMATICALLY for English and other languages including Japanese.

There is a difference between using techniques which markup content
(DocBook, XML, etc) as opposed to those which markup appearence (latex).
The "wave of the future" is content markup, for a variety of reasons,
unless of course the pundits are sadly mistaken and reaching beyond
their grasp. Which is a possibility ;)

I'll submit that the time I take tweaking output for hardcopy is no more
time that would be spent tweaking latex to get optimal appearance.

> BTW, I see some odd results from the 7.1 HTML docs. For example, in
> parser-stage.html,
> "Figure \ref{parsetree} shows the parse tree..."
> What is the "\ref{parsetree}"?

Looks sort of like latex, eh? :)

They are residual markup for graphics from Stephan's Master's Thesis
which were never transcribed from the originals (gifs?) to a usable
format.

Through disk crashes, system upgrades, and a failed backup device I
*may* no longer have his original tarball. Does anyone else?
                        - Thomas