Re: Too many open files in system - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: Too many open files in system
Date
List pgsql-hackers
ryan@paymentalliance.net wrote:

> What does this error mean - and how can I avoid it in the future?
>
> postmaster: StreamConnection: accept: Too many open files in system
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> Ryan Mahoney

It would be helpful if you could give more information, but if you are running
Linux, you may need to bump up the maximum number of open files.

cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr

Will spit out three numbers:

aaaa  bbbb cccc

aaaa is the maximum number of files you have opened.
bbbb is the number of files which are currently open
cccc is the system configured maximum number of files.

if aaaa is very close to cccc than you should adjust the maximum number of
files your system can use

echo 16384 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

where 16384 is the desired number.

--
I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.