Re: Function Inheritance? - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Mark Butler
Subject Re: Function Inheritance?
Date
List pgsql-docs
[Re: Tom Lane's explanation of function inheritance]

That is a really nice capability.  However, the statement is somewhat
confusing because this is a matter of parameter type promotion rather than
member/method function inheritance, which is what I thought was being referred
to.

I suggest something like the following:

"In Postgres, each created table automatically defines a new row object type
in an inheritance hierarchy.  Postgres automatically allows a descendant table
row object to be used anywhere a parent table row object is called for.  This
means that functions declared to accept row objects from a parent table
automatically accept row objects from all of its descendant tables as well."

Is that an improvement?  I believe the SQL3 people were wrestling with similar
nomenclature issues once upon a time...

 - Mark Butler