Re: Internationalized dates (was Internationalized error messages) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: Internationalized dates (was Internationalized error messages)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> >  A solution is use number based dates without names :-(
> ISO has published a standard on date/time formats, ISO 8601.
> Dates look like "2001-03-22".  Times look like "12:47:63".
> The only unfortunate feature is their standard format for a
> date/time: "2001-03-22T12:47:63".  To me the ISO date format
> is far better than something involving month names.
> I'd like to see ISO 8601 as the default data format.

You got your wish when 7.0 was released; the default date/time format is
"ISO" which of course can be adjusted at build or run time.

The default date/time formats are compliant with ISO-8601 (or are at
least intended to be so). The detail regarding "T" as the time
designator mentioned above is covered in 8601 and our usage, omitting
the "T", is allowed by the standard. At least as long as you agree that
it is OK! The wording is actually:

... By mutual agreement of the partners in information interchange, the
character [T] may be omitted...

Presumably this can be covered under our documenting the behavior (and
by compliance with common and expected usage), rather than requiring
100% concurrence by all end users of the system ;)
                      - Thomas