Postgres/Postmaster logging and log rotation - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From William L James
Subject Postgres/Postmaster logging and log rotation
Date
Re: Postgres/Postmaster logging and log rotation  (root <root@dennis.veritime.com>)
List pgsql-admin
Hi there:

We are running PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on RedHat Linux 6.2 and
have encountered a few strange problems that continue to
elude us - namely INSERT and DELETE functions that end
abnormally, but do not include any information as to why (the
JDBC connection just seems to have gone away).  Trying to
further diagnose the situation, I have been successful in starting
the Postgres logging (by including the following in the postgresql
script - su -l postgresql -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -p
/usr/bin/postmaster start >>/var/log/postgresql 2>&1"), but
when the weekly logrotate.d function kicks in, Postgres logging
stops.  We also have trouble doing a simple restart - I wind up
having to do a stop and then a start minutes later.  Can anyone
explain how to get Postgres to log and to be able to rotate the
log periodically?  Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill James
I/NET, Inc.
Email: mailto:bjames@inetmi.com