Re: A local replication entry - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Doiron, Daniel
Subject Re: A local replication entry
Date
List pgsql-admin
Do you get the same error using psql client?

If so, do you see more connection details in the log? Is your /etc/hosts configured to resolve correctly? (I've had
roguesysadmins configure my servers to resolve to strange things like IPv6)

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of John Scalia
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 9:19 AM
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: [ADMIN] A local replication entry

I think maybe it's just too early in the morning for me, but I can't seem to get a local entry for replication working.
I'mtrying to create a script for hourly backups using pg_basebackup, and here's the command I'm using:

/usr/pgsql-9.3/bin/pg_basebackup -D - -Ft -z -c fast -l hourly.backup > backup_file.gz

The entry in the pg_hba.conf file is:

local    replication    postgres                            trust

And the error is: FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for replication connection from host "[local]", user "postgres", SSL off,
butI have gotten this to work only if I use a "-h 10.10.1.129" option for the command. This only works since another
entryin the pg_hba.conf satisfies the command.

Do I have an error with the local entry? Or are local entries even allowed for replication? As this has to be
automaticallydeployed to various servers, I'd prefer to NOT specify each host's IP address both in pg_hba.conf file and
inthe script calling the pg_basebackup command. Oh, and at some point when this starts working, I am going to change
theuser from postgres to another without superuser capability.
--
Jay