Re: ORDER BY in SQL functions - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From K. Ari Krupnikov
Subject Re: ORDER BY in SQL functions
Date
List pgsql-sql
Tom Lane wrote:

> "K. Ari Krupnikov" <ari@iln.net> writes:
> > CREATE FUNCTION foo (INT)
> > RETURNS SETOF INT AS '
> >     SELECT id
> >     FROM   table
> >     WHERE  some_colunm > $1
> >     ORDER BY some_other_colunm
> > ' LANGUAGE 'sql';
>
> > ERROR:  function declared to return int4 returns multiple values in
> > final retrieve
>
> This is a bug in the SQL-function support --- the check for correct
> return type gets confused by the extra hidden column used for the
> ORDER BY.  It'll work if you ORDER BY the column you're returning,
> not that that helps you much.

What if the function is declared to retun a complex type, can I then
sort it?
I it works, this function can be wrapped in another function that simply
returns this single column.

Also, why did I get this message after posting to
comp.databases.postgresql.sql? Do articles in that group automatically
get posted to the mailing list?

--
K. Ari Krupnikov

DBDOM - bridging XML and relational databases
http://www.iter.co.il