Re: How to make operator class? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: How to make operator class?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Tom,

> > Hmmm .... thinking about it logically, shouldn't the database engine be
> > able to use an index on a single column either backwards or forwards?
>
> Sure, but he wanted a sort with the first column in ascending order and
> the second in descending order.  You can't get that by scanning an index
> that has both columns in the same order...

Aha.  I see the problem.  My approach would be to use two seperate
indexes, but maybe that's not sophisticated enough :-)

And, Tom, you're working too hard again.  It's Saturday.  Go home.

-Josh Berkus (Who is home, just VPN'ing into my office).

--
______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________                                       Josh Berkus  Complete
informationtechnology      josh@agliodbs.com   and data management solutions       (415) 565-7293  for law firms, small