Re: parse error in create index - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Hubert Palme
Subject Re: parse error in create index
Date
List pgsql-sql
Stephan Szabo wrote:

> Functional indexes cannot currently take constant values to the function,
> so it's complaining about the constant 'month'.  The current workaround is
> probably to create a function that does the date_part('month', <arg>) for
> you and then use that function in the index creation.

Hmm... Perhaps, it's better I post to the novice group, because I'm new
to SQL.

Anyway -- That's my trial:

adressen=> CREATE FUNCTION geb_monat (date) RETURNS integer AS
adressen-> 'SELECT date_part('month', $1)::integer;'
adressen-> LANGUAGE 'sql';
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "month"

The point are the nested strings, I guess. How can I render a "'" in an
SQL string?

Thanks for your help!

--
Hubert Palme