Re: Re: SQL Join - MySQL/PostgreSQL difference? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Brice Ruth
Subject Re: Re: SQL Join - MySQL/PostgreSQL difference?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Here's my latest tactic: I'm guessing that the data 'corruption' has
something to do with the way the data was exported from the original
database by the third party ... probably something with the cr/lf
linebreaks or something to that effect (the data field in question
happens to be the last field in a line in the data file).  So, I loaded
up all the files in my text editor (BBedit) and saved 'em back out w/
UNIX linebreaks, then transferred the files as a bzipped tar over to the
server.  I deleted all the content from the db and am reimporting via
'COPY ... FROM' as I write this.  Its about 100MB of data so it'll take
a few minutes to import.

I'll report back any successes ... if things fail again, I'll follow all
the advice I've gotten to this point then report back with any
discoveries.  Thank you SO much for all the help with this.  I really
appreciate it tremendously.

-Brice

Tom Lane wrote:

> Brice Ruth <brice@webprojkt.com> writes:
> > SELECT length(monographid) FROM tblpemdruglink WHERE drugid='DG-5039';
> > I get 5 returned to me, even though the string is only 4 ('2008').
>
> Okay, so you've got some invisible character in there, but not a space
> (else the trim() woulda got rid of it).  Tab maybe?  Might want to go
> back and examine your original data file more carefully, with an editor
> that will show you control characters and such.

Brice Ruth
WebProjkt, Inc.
VP, Director of Internet Technology
http://www.webprojkt.com/