Re: PL/PGSQL function with parameters - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: PL/PGSQL function with parameters
Date
List pgsql-sql
Tom, Jan, Michael,

> While I have not looked closely, I seem to recall that plpgsql handles
> INTO by stripping that clause out of the statement before it's passed to
> the SQL engine.  Evidently that's not happening in the EXECUTE case.
>
> Jan, do you agree this is a bug?  Is it reasonable to try to repair it
> for 7.1?  If we do not change the behavior of EXECUTE now, I fear it
> will be too late --- some people will come to depend on the existing
> behavior.

If you think that's the best way.  What we're really all wanting is a wy
in PL/pgSQL to pass a parameter as an object name.  Doing it *without*
using EXECUTE would be even better than modifying EXECUTE to accomdate
SELECT ... INTO variable.

If we can write queries that address tables by OID, that would give us a
quick workaround ... get the OID from pg_class, then pass it to the
query as variables of type OID:

SELECT column1_oid, column2_oid FROM table_oid
WHERE column2_oid = variable1
ORDER BY column1_oid;

OF course, having PL/pgSQL do this automatically would be even better,
but I suspect would require a *lot* of extra programming by Jan.

And all of this should be influenced by whatever you guys are planning
to do about Stored Procedures.

-Josh Berkus

--
______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________                                       Josh Berkus  Complete