Re: psql & "unexpected EOF on client connection" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From gateley@jriver.com
Subject Re: psql & "unexpected EOF on client connection"
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:

> gateley@jriver.com writes:
> > I have been getting the dreaded "unexpected EOF on client
> > connection" in my system logs, but the surprising thing is that
> > it comes from psql (I think). I am executing psql
> > via a 'system' system call, and about 1 time out of 20 I get
> > the "unexpected EOF" message. Unfortunately, this
> > also causes the 'system' call to return an error, even though
> > all SQL code was executed properly. (After searching
> > postgresql.org I found out that the message normally
> > means that PGfinish wasn't called.)
>
> So it does.  I didn't think there were any paths in psql that would
> lead to such an ungraceful exit, especially not if no SQL error occurs.
>
> > Gory details available on request.
>
> Please.  For starters, what platform are you on, and which PG version?

RedHat Linux 7.0, with kernel 2.2.17
Postgresql version 7.0.3, as well as the stock
version shipped with RedHat 7 (7.0.1???)

My app gathers a bunch of data, and then
dumps it into the database. It does not
retrieve any data from the database (other
apps do that). About 1 time out of 20, the call
to PGconnectdb fails with a segfault signal. Because
of this, I run the PGconnectdb/PGexec etc. in a
forked process. If the forked process dies because
of the signal, then I try using system("psql ....")
as described above. About 1 time out of 20 this
fails.

Thanks,