Re: Like vs '=' bug with indexing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Like vs '=' bug with indexing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> > Also I remember being told that bytea _can_ hold embedded \0, no ?
>
> Yes.  What has that got to do with text et al?
>
> >> Possibly chr() should reject chr(0) ...
> >
> > there is no function chr() at least in 7.0.2.
>
> I think it used to be called ichar(), but then someone pointed out that
> Oracle calls it chr().
>
> > and char is not usable from psql (gives out strange errors);
>
> char(n) is a type name, not a function call.

\df list it as a function call taking either bpchar or text argument.

hannu=# \df                                  List of functions      Result        |       Function       |

Arguments
...char                | char                 | bpchar char                | char                 | text

Maybe the cast functions (named similar to types) should be removed from
\df output
or at least marked as such, also in pg_proc?

Hannu