SQL Join - MySQL/PostgreSQL difference? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Brice Ruth
Subject SQL Join - MySQL/PostgreSQL difference?
Date
Re: SQL Join - MySQL/PostgreSQL difference?  (David Olbersen <dave@slickness.org>)
List pgsql-sql
Greetings.

I'm working with a product provided by a third part that interfaces to
data housed in a database of your choice.  Previously, my choice was
MySQL - apparently it handled certain queries too slowly, so I'm giving
PostgreSQL a shot.  Here's the query:

SELECT a.Number, a.Code, a.Text
FROM b, a
WHERE (b.Id = a.Id) AND (VersionId = 'key1') AND (Category = 'key2') AND (b.d_Id = 'key3')
ORDER BY a.Number;

(my apologies: I had to 'mangle' the table/column names because of NDA)

So my question is this: would this query operate differently in MySQL
than in PostgreSQL?  The reason I ask is that this query in MySQL
returns results, yet in PostgreSQL it does not.  I read a post about
PostgreSQL not supporting outer joins, but I don't have enough
experience with SQL to determine if this is such a query or not.  Please
advise.

Any help will be (as always) sincerely appreciated.

--
Brice Ruth
WebProjkt, Inc.