Problem with Day of Week - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Keith Perry
Subject Problem with Day of Week
Date
Re: Problem with Day of Week  ("Brian C. Doyle" <bcdoyle@mindspring.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Greetings,

I notice some talk about date problems and interestingly enough planning
out an application in which I will need to be able to manipulate dates.
I notice however that there seems to be a discrepancy with the day or
week in 7.0.3

---

pmhcc=# select date_part('dow','now'::timestamp);date_part
-----------        1
(1 row)

pmhcc=# select to_char('now'::timestamp,'D');to_char
---------2
(1 row)

pmhcc=# select version();                              version
---------------------------------------------------------------------PostgreSQL 7.0.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by
gccegcs-2.91.66

(1 row)

pmhcc=# select now();         now
------------------------2001-01-29 12:57:46-05
(1 row)

---

Now as far as I know, Sunday is supposed to 1, so I would think that
date_part is doing something funky unless I am mis-understanding
something.  I was hoping that someone might be able to shead some light
on this.  Thanks.

Keith C. Perry
VCSN, Inc.
http://vcsn.com