Re: abstract data types? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From John Reid
Subject Re: abstract data types?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Tom, listers,

Thanks for the info.

> On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Tom Lane wrote:
>

>> None, I fear.  The stuff you are fooling with is leftover from the old
>> PostQuel language.  Most of it is suffering from bit rot, because the
>> developers' focus has been on SQL92 compliance for the last six or seven
>> years.

Damn!  Not what I wanted to hear :-(

>>   I hadn't realized that SQL99 had caught up to PostQuel in this
>> area ;-).

FWIW, this is actually one of the primary reasons that I became
interested in PostgreSQL, before I even knew about SQL3/SQL99.  Seems
like such a cool idea :-)

>>   Sounds like we will have to dust off some of that stuff and
>> get it working again.  No promises about timeframe, unless someone
>> steps up to the plate to do the work...

OK, what few coding skills I had are so rusty I'm pretty much back to
square one, but I would like to help out where possible (Docs maybe?).
Then again, might as well jump in the deep end, and have a look to see
what needs doing anyway :-)

Can you please give me some pointers as to where I should look in the
docs and code to see how classes are currently handled.  I'm thinking
specifically of:
   * How (and where) the access methods for class tuples are      implemented and called.   * Where the code for
creatingclasses hides   * Anything else that I should be aware of!

For the moment I guess I don't need to worry about the parser, just how
the operations related to the classes (both system and user) work/are
implemented.  Correct?

> What goes around comes around. :-)

And hits you in the back of the head just when you least expect it ...

cheers,
John
john reid                                  e-mail john_reid@uow.edu.au
uproot your questions from their ground and the dangling roots will be
seen.  more questions!                                                      -mentat zensufi

apply standard disclaimers as desired...