Re: RE: Why is there so much MySQL bashing??? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Chmara
Subject Re: RE: Why is there so much MySQL bashing???
Date
List pgsql-general
Just a counter-thought to an earlier post, wherein
it was suggested that MySQL user might be offended by the
bashing, and thus avoid switching.

A MySQL user considers switching to postgreSQL, so
he goes to check the PGSQL mailing list:

Possibility 1. They find people are fairly muted, and thinks the
differences are no big deal, just friendly differences. So they
don't switch. Why should they?

Possibility 2. He finds people who have switched, and think that
it's a *really big deal*, because they now hate MySQL so much.
Realizing that they could have a much better db system, they
seriously consider a switch.

Taking a page from M$, they don't exactly sit on the sidelines
and avoid bashing Linux, Solaris, etc.... politeness is great
for getting along and sharing space. If you want to take over
marketshare, though, it doesn't quite work.

-Ronabop

--
Personal:  ron@opus1.com, 520-326-6109, http://www.opus1.com/ron/
Work: rchmara@pnsinc.com, 520-546-8993, http://www.pnsinc.com/