Re: [GENERAL] PHP and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Frank Joerdens
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PHP and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-php
Adam Haberlach wrote:
[ . . . ]
>         Once again, this is probably all due to a difference between MySQL and Postgres.
> Judging by the MySQL code, there is a provision for the client-side libraries to
> pass tuples on to the application in the order they are sorted without necessarily
> retrieving them all to the client.  AFAIK, Postgres does not do this unless you
> specifically use cursors to pull down a window of data at a time (this is correct
> behavior IMHO, your feelings may vary).

Oops, this means that I have been coding on a false assumption for quite a while now. I
guess I'll be changing quite a few while loops into for loops this week. But it's good to
have a conclusive verdict on the issue. I'd been feeling somewhat uneasy about it all
allong, what with not knowing exactly what the mechanism was . . . thanks for making this
clear!

[ . . . ]
>         (and judging by the number of times I've mentioned PHP and MySQL in this
> post, it is time for this thread to go elsewhere.

I've cross-posted to php-pgsql where I think it belongs, actually.

Regards, Frank