Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/commands (command.c vacuum.c) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hiroshi Inoue
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/commands (command.c vacuum.c)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> writes:
> > There's no command other than VACUUM which continues to
> > access table/index after *commit*. We couldn't process
> > significant procedures in such an already commiitted state,
> > could we ?
>
> Why not?  The intermediate state *is valid*.  We just haven't
> removed no-longer-referenced index and TOAST entries yet.

Do you mean *already committed* state has no problem and
VACUUM is always possible in the state ?
Is VACUUM such a trivial job ?

> > What's wrong with vacuuming master and the toast table in
> > separate transactions ?
>
> You'd have to give up the lock on the master table if there were
> a true commit.  I don't want to do that ... especially not when
> I don't believe there is a problem to fix.

Hmmm,is keeping the lock on master table more important than
risking to break consistency ?

Regards.
Hiroshi Inoue