Re: European Datestyle - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: European Datestyle
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > That is the ISO-style, isn't it?
> Yes, it is; but according to the documentation (and how it used to be on
> other machines running PG 6.x) it should be ordered in european format,

The documentation should be clear that this is the correct output,
giving the current "datestyle" settings. Please let me know what part
was confusing and I can fix it for the next release.

The default date style in 7.0 was changed from "Postgres" to "ISO". The
euro vs US setting determines how *input* dates are interpreted, since
they are not restricted to being only the format of the default output
style.

Use "set datestyle = 'Postgres,European'" to change to what you expect.
You can set an environment variable or change the defaults when building
the backend to get this always.

There is an appendix in the docs discussing the parsing strategy, though
it is all detail.
                     - Thomas