Re: Postgres and AOLServer (also: PHP and persistent connections) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From frank
Subject Re: Postgres and AOLServer (also: PHP and persistent connections)
Date
List pgsql-general
Ron Chmara wrote:

[. . .]
> > My thinking was that the threaded nature of AS would enable PHP to
> > do connection pooling.
>
> Nope. It doesn't glue in that deeply, [. . .]

Correct, here's what the PHP manual says about persistent connections
and multithreaded webservers such as AOLServer (although it doesn't
mention it explicitly):

------------------------------ snip ------------------------------
The last method is to use PHP as a plug-in for a multithreaded web
server. Currently this is only theoretical -- PHP does not yet work as a
plug-in for any multithreaded web servers. Work is progressing on
support for ISAPI, WSAPI, and NSAPI (on Windows), which will all allow
PHP to be used as a plug-in on multithreaded servers like Netscape
FastTrack, Microsoft's Internet Information Server (IIS), and O'Reilly's
WebSite Pro. When this happens, the behavior will be essentially the
same as for the multiprocess model described before.

I'm getting worried about this connection pooling issue now too, being a
PosgreSQL/PHP person. I haven't run into the problem yet but am
currently building the biggest site I've ever done  . . . what I don't
really get about it: Since you will have one db connection per Apache
process at the most, the issue depends on whether _Apache_ reuses its
child processes; if those are sitting around idly whilst new ones are
being created, then there's something wrong with the way Apache behaves
or is configured(!).

- Frank