Re: Postgres and AOLServer - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Chmara
Subject Re: Postgres and AOLServer
Date
List pgsql-general
GH wrote:
> Does anybody know if PHP would do connection pooling to Postgres as a
> module under AOLServer?

From the rough read of the module, no. It's like using a Perl CGI,
where you'd create, and then destroy, the connection.

> If it would, does anyone have any idea how to configure AOLServer to
> connect with pools to Postgres?

Blisteringly easy. If you've struggled with a single db migration
in PHP, you'll wonder what went wrong in their design. They have
beautiful logic abstracting the db connection _away_ from the
display logic, from the scripts themselves.

> My thinking was that the threaded nature of AS would enable PHP to
> do connection pooling.

Nope. It doesn't glue in that deeply, instead, you'd be creating tons
of little PHP threads... same problem as apache+PHP.

> Is it not the webserver that does the actual connection to the database
> rather than any module such as PHP?

This depends. AOLserver can do it. Or AOLserver can hand it off to
Perl, to PHP, to whatever, and let that code do it. If AOLserver
does it on it's own, it manages it all. Otherwise, it's like using
Perl CGI connections... no persistance, no pool.

-Bop

--
Brought to you from iBop the iMac, a MacOS, Win95, Win98, LinuxPPC machine,
which is currently in MacOS land.  Your bopping may vary.