Re: Problems with Perl - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Problems with Perl
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> It appears that something is messed up with regard to Perl
> support on my system.  Two things are happening, which may
> or may not be related.

They are not related.
> 1) There is a complaint during make that
> *****
> * Cannot build PL/Perl because libperl is not a shared library.
> * Skipped.
> *****
> I'm running a pretty vanilla RedHat 6.1 setup.  What should
> I do about that?

There are a couple of alternatives to get pl/perl (server-side perl
functions) built -- but none are real good for PostgreSQL 7.0.x.
> 2) Because _something_ was made for Perl, the 'make install'
> has to be root.  Okay.  But this is leaving some stuff behind
> that is owned by root.  When I attempt a subsequent
> 'make clean; make' I get into permissions trouble, and have
> to delete these things manually.

This would be the _client_side_ perl interface, Pg.  Pg allows a perl
script to access the PostgreSQL server.  PL/Perl allows the server to
run perl scripts as a procedural language inside the database system.

Two different animals.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio