initdb failure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin O'Gorman
Subject initdb failure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I'm just catching up to the tip of the current tree, and find
that I have a reported failure in initdb.  It seems to go through
(most of) the steps, and just reports failure.  I can thereafter
start a backend using an old RedHat script (which tries to run
initdb again but can't because the directory is not empty), and
it goes okay.

I've attached a capture of the initdb run.  There's not much to
go on there....

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman  (805) 650-6274  mailto:kogorman@pacbell.net
Permanent e-mail forwarder:  mailto:Kevin.O'Gorman.64@Alum.Dartmouth.org

"There is a freedom lying beyond circumstance,
derived from the direct intuition that life can
be grounded upon its absorption in what is
changeless amid change"
   -- Alfred North WhiteheadScript started on Thu Nov  9 10:20:28 2000
[root@glynnis bin]# su postgres
bash$ ./initdb -D /PG/pgsql-7.1/data
This database system will be initialized with username "postgres".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server process.

Fixing permissions on existing directory /PG/pgsql-7.1/data
Creating directory /PG/pgsql-7.1/data/base
Creating directory /PG/pgsql-7.1/data/global
Creating directory /PG/pgsql-7.1/data/pg_xlog
Creating template database in /PG/pgsql-7.1/data/base/1
Creating global relations in /PG/pgsql-7.1/data/global

Enabling unlimited row width for system tables.
Creating view pg_user.
Creating view pg_rules.
Creating view pg_views.
Creating view pg_tables.