Re: feature request and scripting question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From KuroiNeko
Subject Re: feature request and scripting question
Date
List pgsql-general
> Has anyone considered enabling truly globally unique identifiers (outside
of the data  tree)? This could be done by  concatenating the MAC Address(or
decimal equivalent) of Eth0 to generated OID's.

 MAC Ethernet addresses  aren't guranteed to be unique. On  the other hand,
what if a host has no Ethernet NICs? More than one?

> I can do this myself by adding a MAC field, and changing the MAC from hex
to DWORD or something for storage and access

 DWORD for Ethernet MAC address? Beg your pardon?

> It would streamline this functionality a  great deal for those of us with
partitioned tables or server farm situations.

 Visit one of  InterBase/IBPhoenix/whatever-their-name-now-is sites and try
finding  papers on  primary keys  in distributed  environments. Usefull  to
study and follow.

--

 Sniper's rifle is an extension of his eye. He kills with his injurious vision.

 JM