Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts (Makefile README pg_dumpaccounts.sh) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karl DeBisschop
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts (Makefile README pg_dumpaccounts.sh)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> > What part of "no new features in bug-fix releases" is giving people
> > trouble?
>
> Interesting observation here: the key developers seem to be much more
> exercised about this than the rest of the community.  Counting core
> members and Peter we have three "no" and one "yes", whereas as best
> I recall the votes from the rest of pghackers are about 6 to 1 in
> favor.
>
> Make of that what you will --- but I'm going to yield the point,
> since the non-core sentiment seems to be very clear.

ISTM that devlopers are correctly concerned about policy. And ISTM that users place a slightly higher premium on
administrativeease than they do on consistency. Nothing really wrong with that either.

My guess is that users would be very happy to yield on placing the script in /contrib if some alternate were proposed.
I'dbe just as happy if there were a link to the file on the download page. Or if it was placed in an "interim"
directoryor something like that. I just want it to be available. I would prefer if it could be done in a way that's
consistentwith the project policy, but that consistency is just slightly less important to me than short-term
usability.

--
Karl DeBisschop                        kdebisschop@alert.infoplease.com
Learning Network Reference             http://www.infoplease.com