Re: how good is PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Kientzle
Subject Re: how good is PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
a) Don't log to a database.  Log data should be sent into a process
   that collects any needed on-the-fly statistics and then outputs
   into disk files (rotating hourly or daily depending on your needs).
   This model is becoming pretty standard with Apache now; look at
   rotatelog in the Apache distribution for an example.

b) Number of records isn't really the issue.  Query complexity and
   number of queries are more pertinent.  Generally, for example, a
   single SELECT that pulls in multiple rows is much faster than
   a bunch of small SELECTs.

c) For very high traffic, you are going to have multiple front-end
   servers.  If you design the system carefully, you can have a single
   shared network disk used by all of your front ends, then just stack
   boxes in front of it.  This doesn't give you endless scalability,
though;
   at some point you'll saturate your network file server and/or
database
   box.

d) PHP may not be a great choice.  It doesn't provide a lot of hooks
   for effective caching of database connections and/or results.
   mod_perl or Java servlets may be better, depending on the details.

                - Tim Kientzle