Re: Index on substring? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From M.Feldtmann@t-online.de (Marten Feldtmann)
Subject Re: Index on substring?
Date
List pgsql-general

Jeff Eckermann schrieb:

> Tom,
> Thanks very much for your full and clear answer.
> It's hard to imagine a general use for this facility, anyway.
> For me this is a one-off exercise, albeit a big one.
> Regards

 There're commercial OO persistance frameworks out there, which create
there own OID's (actually they consists out of three numbers) all these
numbers are converted to base 36 and concatenated to a string with size
15.

 One part of this string is a class number of the instance you
have just loaded. Therefore if you look for instances of a
special class you may query a substring of this OID ....

 Just as an practical usage ....

Marten