Re: How to back up large objects? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From KuroiNeko
Subject Re: How to back up large objects?
Date
List pgsql-general
 Chris,

> I can't seem to figure out how to back up the large ogjects I have in my
> DB.

 No way to do this with pg_dump. At least AFAIK. You need something custom,
or just backup the whole DB dir at file level.

> so what is the common usage of large objects?

 Well, you  asked.... :) Personally  I see absolutely  no use for  BLOBs in
99.9% of  cases. As  long as BLOBs  can not be  indexed, searching  on them
makes no sense, and they remain mostly a marketing ploy. Yes, one can put a
whole 2.5 MB AVI clip in a BLOB, but who really needs that? As long as they
are stored  off-page, there's always  some `pumping' involved  (PGSQL basic
functions to  import/export BLOBs do  this) So, if  you can't use  it until
it's converted to a file, why don't keep it as a file all the time?
 This is a personal opinion and I don't claim to posess the final truth.

> My main goal is a method of backing up a database that conists of a
> table that stores the OID of the large objects, the large objects
> themselves

# tar -cf mydb.tar mydb

 Works like a champ ;)

 Ed

--

 Well I tried to be meek
  And I have tried to be mild

 Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms, The Man's Too Strong (Knopfler)