pg_restore with connection limit 0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Олег Самойлов
Subject pg_restore with connection limit 0
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all.

I have task to refresh a test database from a production database (with masking) on the fly. To make masking we use
pg_restore--create with three stages restoration. And one of the problem is daemons writing concurrently in the time of
therestoration of a database. I need to block them in time of the restoration. ALLOW_CONNECTIONS=true don't work in
thiscase, because it blocks a superuser too. We use CONNECTION LIMIT 0, because this blocks almost all, except a
superuser.But to prevent a race condition we must set this in the same query as CREATE DATABASE, the postgresql syntax
allowthis. Now this is rather complex procedure:

We get `pg_restore --create --list −−section=pre−data` and `pg_restore ---stage --list −−section=pre−data`, diff them
toget difference.
Get `pg_restore --create --use-list=diff −−section=pre−data` to get sql.
Edit sql: remove ALTER DATABASE ... CONNECTION LIMIT ... if exist, add CONNECTION LIMIT 0 to the CREATE DATABASE.
Send sql to the postgresql.
And so on.

Will be convenient to add CONNECTION LIMIT 0 to the CREATE DATABASE just by option of pg_restore.
And will be even more straight approach do not use CONNECTION LIMIT 0 is this case, but change ALLOW_CONNECTIONS to
acceptvalues: false, true, superuser. ("Superuser" to accept connections from superuser only).