Re: Weird function behavior from Sept 11 snapshot - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: Weird function behavior from Sept 11 snapshot
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hmm. I recompiled the current snapshot with the optimizations from my
Mandrake RPM (using the Mandrake defaults, except for disabling
"fast-math"), and get the following:

7.0.2   current   test1.8     5.3     sum(i)1.95    1.77     sum(f)2.3     1.9     sum(cast(i as float8))

My previous tests on the current tree were with -O0, asserts enabled,
and few other options specified (mostly, the defaults for the Postgres
Linux build).

The Linux defaults in the Postgres tarball are:
 -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations

whereas the defaults for Mandrake (with fast-math turned off since it
gives rounding trouble in date/time math):
 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -pipe -s -mpentiumpro -mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentiumpro
-fexpensive-optimizations-malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2
-fno-fast-math

I'll do some more tests with the default compiler options. The good news
is that the new fmgr interface is apparently as fast or faster than the
old one :)
                    - Thomas