INSERT/SELECT with ORDER BY - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bob Rivoir
Subject INSERT/SELECT with ORDER BY
Date
List pgsql-bugs

                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name  :  Bob Rivoir
Your email address : rhr2@psu.edu

System Configuration
  Architecture (example: Intel Pentium)   : AMD Athlon

  Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF)  : OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4

  PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-7.0):   PostgreSQL-7.0.2

  Compiler used (example:  gcc 2.8.0)  : gcc egcs-1.1.2 release

I got the following error message when I tried to do an INSERT using
SELECT ... ORDER BY:

ERROR:  ORDER BY is not allowed in INSERT/SELECT

Please describe a way to repeat the problem.   Please try to provide a

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below: