Re: Great Bridge benchmark results for Postgres, 4 others - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ned Lilly
Subject Re: Great Bridge benchmark results for Postgres, 4 others
Date
List pgsql-general
Marc's right... we opted for ODBC to ensure as much of an "apples to apples"
comparison as possible.  Of the 5 databases we tested, a native driver existed for
only the two (ahem) unnamed proprietary products - Postgres, Interbase, and MySQL
had to rely on ODBC.  So we used the vendor's own ODBC for each of the other two
cases.

<disclaimer>
As with all benchmarks, your mileage will vary according to hardware, OS, and of
course the specific application.  What we attempted to do here was use two
industry-standard benchmarks and treat all five products the same.
</disclaimer>

Presumably, if the vendor had taken the time to write a native driver for
Postgres, the results would have seen an even bigger kick.  We don't have any
reason to think that the results for all five tests in native driver mode would be
out of proportion to the results we got through ODBC.

Regards,
Ned